Senior Embedded Software Engineer
LumiraDx is a medical technology company developing, manufacturing and marketing smart connected diagnostics and diagnostic-led care solutions. Founded in 2014 by entrepreneurs with a successful track record in building and scaling medical diagnostics and health IT businesses, the company has major operations in the UK and the USA, and is supported by a global sales network, LumiraDx currently has over 1,600 employees worldwide. We have recently launched the innovative LumiraDx Platform, and are looking for proactive, experienced, focused and enthusiastic individuals who can make a significant contribution to the continued growth and success of our dynamic and forward-looking company.
Role & Responsibilities
About the Role
Reporting to the Software Team Lead or Technical Lead as required, the role will be responsible for the design, development and maintenance of the LumiraDx Point of Care (POC) instrument firmware. Software development in support of laboratory-based prototyping is used to inform the final instrument design that will be transferred to manufacturing and support the instrument software needs of the consumables (test strips) to be used with the LumiraDx POC instrument during their development.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Contribute at all stages of the full software lifecycle from requirements analysis; through design, coding and unit test; to integrating the software with the hardware target, laboratory-based acceptance test, delivery and maintenance.
- Develop the embedded software required to enable the functionality of the company’s IVD instrument.
- Work closely with Software QA developers to ensure they develop tests to adequately verify all development activities.
- Create and maintain a software system that allows the effective set up of experiments, captures experimental data and allows review and analysis of the experimental data.
- Assist in prototype board debug providing problem analysis, test code if required and solution options.
- Store all software source code, build instructions and special/tools or utilities needed to accomplish the above in a suitably organised GitHub repository.
- Define and execute the required unit testing verification activities needed to demonstrate the software design has met specification.
- Ensure compliance with LumiraDx internal quality processes and ensure designs / ideas are compliant with appropriate international standards and guidelines (as above).
- Maintain the associated paperwork, log books and test reports required to keep a design history of work performed, in line with specified standards and regulations, e.g. IEC 62304, ISO 13485 or FDA 21CFR, part 820
To be successful in this role you must be a highly motivated individual that can demonstrate flexibility and a can-do attitude. You should ensure positive, productive and proactive relationships with a range of internal and external key stakeholders
- Degree qualified in computer science, software engineering or a closely related discipline.
- Development experience as part of scrum team and a working knowledge of agile principles.
- Ability to translate requirements into design specifications and a demonstrable understanding of requirements management.
- Highly proficient in embedded C and have proven experience with; 16/32-bit Microcontrollers, RTOSs, multi-threaded and multi-processor systems, communication protocols (SPI, I2C, TCP/IP)
- Knowledge of interrupt handling, bootloaders, flash operations and peripheral programming.
- Practical experience and in-depth knowledge of an IDE and JTAG debuggers/programmers
- Use of defect and task tracking software e.g. Jira
- Experienced with version control systems (SVN / GIT)
- Experience developing safety critical software or for a highly regulated market
- An understanding of balancing technical development with business requirements and schedules
- Experience in the development and execution of Unit Testing
- Experienced in the use of Static Analysis tooling.
- Linux as a development target
- Qt, C#, Python
- Arm Cortex processor family
- Practical experience and expertise in interfacing software to electronics (e.g. off board memory, ADC’s DAC’s, Motor controllers, serial ports, SPI, I2C, heater control, PWM, Interrupt Timers, Internal EEPROM, programmable resistors, GPIO expanders, temperature sensors)
- Experience of working in the medical device industry and the application of CE marking directives and applicable device standards
- Practical experience of the product verification and validation cycle for a medical device.
- Experience of working to ISO 13485 or FDA 21CFR, part 820 (or similar)
At LumiraDx, diversity and inclusion are part of who we are. LumiraDx is committed to inclusion across race, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation or identity. We celebrate uniqueness and believe diversity drives innovation. LumiraDx seeks to deliver high quality, affordable medical diagnostics and healthcare services accessible to everyone around the world, and we wish to reflect a global multi-cultural approach across our business
Please note, if you wish to submit an application for this role, please consider the following information:
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you are an internal candidate, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you’re successful, you may be subject to all or some of the LumiraDx standard pre-employment checks.
Criminal records data is processed as part of our recruitment and selection processes and, where necessary, in the course of employment, we verify that candidates are suitable for employment or continued employment to comply with legal and regulatory obligations to which the company is subject. LumiraDx places a high level of importance on its responsibilities for information security and privacy and has put in place an information security management system to ensure that the company and its staff maintain the highest standards with respect to data protection and information security. All staff are responsible for information security and therefore must understand and comply with the Company's information security policies, procedures and guidance.
To apply, please click on APPLY