Software QA Engineer (12 month contract)
LumiraDx is a medical technology company developing, manufacturing and marketing smart connected diagnostics and diagnostic-led care solutions. Founded in 2014 by entrepreneurs with a successful track record in building and scaling medical diagnostics and health IT businesses, the company has major operations in the UK and the USA, and is supported by a global sales network, LumiraDx currently has over 1,500 employees worldwide. We have recently launched the innovative LumiraDx Platform, and are looking for proactive, experienced, focused and enthusiastic individuals who can make a significant contribution to the continued growth and success of our dynamic and forward-looking company.
Role & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Lead Software QA Engineer, and working as part of the instrumentation team, the role will be responsible for driving the development of the LumiraDx Point of Care (POC) instrument firmware in support of ongoing product enhancement.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Review software requirements and risks from a verification perspective
- Participate in backlog refinement meetings, sprint planning meetings and daily stand-ups to ensure that software verification is planned in and performed at all stages of the project
- Work closely with developers to understand features being developed and how they fit into the overall solution, and then write automated tests for those new features. Maintain those tests and drive reuse of all or part of those tests for integration testing.
- Verify software subsystems as they are integrated with other software and hardware
- Demonstrate issues found during verification to other members of the team via detailed bug reports. Smoke test early versions of fixes to determine if they offer a solution to the issues
- Store all automated tests and associated tools according to LumiraDx configuration management processes and participate in code reviews on pull requests for automation code
- Work as part of a Scrum team that is developing software and hardware for the instrument
- Contribute to continuous improvement by participating in sprint retrospectives and wider team improvement initiative
- Create, review and critique test-related documentation (requirements, specifications, risk assessments, test plans, test results, traceability matrix)
- Help establish automation frameworks and infrastructure on new subsystems
To be successful in this role you must be a highly motivated individual that can demonstrate flexibility and a can-do attitude. You should ensure positive, productive and proactive relationships with a range of internal and external key stakeholders.
- Degree qualified in software engineering or a closely related discipline OR proven track record of hands-on software testing.
- Ability to translate software requirements into test requirements.
- Authoring automated tests based on requirements: both the feature-level needs and detailed steps to implement those
- Able to ensure we diligently record evidence and data from test execution.
- Experience in test automation
- Knowledge and experience of git for managing automation code
- Working with others to determine the best choice for tools, frameworks, infrastructure
- Experience in some of the specific automation tools we use: Python, BDD, Raspberry Pis, Cypress
- Linux knowledge
- Experience of using Test and Requirements management tools.
- Understanding of a Requirement Coverage Matrix.
- Experience of working in the medical device industry
- Experience in integrating automation with a CI tool like Jenkins
- Able to review developer code to understand their design and unit testing (e.g. in C)
- Able to use design/debugging tools and instruments (e.g. oscilloscopes, multi-meters, logic analysers, JTAG, IAR IDE, RS232 and USB interfaces).
- A general familiarity with electronics hardware circuit boards.
To apply to the role, please click APPLY