Senior Scientist (Chemistry)
LumiraDx is a medical technology company developing, manufacturing and marketing smart connected diagnostics and diagnostic-led care solutions. Founded in 2014 by entrepreneurs with a successful track record in building and scaling medical diagnostics and health IT businesses, the company has major operations in the UK and the USA, and is supported by a global sales network, LumiraDx is a high growth organisation. We have recently launched the innovative LumiraDx Platform and our Fast Lab Solutions, and are looking for proactive, experienced, focused and enthusiastic individuals who can make a significant contribution to the continued growth and success of our dynamic and forward-looking company.
Role & Responsibilities
LumiraDx is seeking a motivated Senior Scientist with expertise in polymer science to join our R&D team dedicated to development of new technologies such as colloids, electrochemistry, hydrogels...
This position is laboratory based and you will be accountable for the planning and execution of experiments as well as building and using significant depth of knowledge in a specialised technical area.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
- Work on the development of new technologies in a dynamic environment, with capabilities in evaluating, designing, planning, and executing research.
- You will manage complex parts of technical projects and be accountable for their delivery.
- Create, develop, and undertake new polymerisation reactions and synthesis of organic molecules. Perform in-depth analyses using techniques such as GPC, MS, NMR, TGA, FTIR, or SEM to characterise materials.
- Challenge scientific and technical rigour of experiments and experimental design to develop and enhance protocols.
- Adapt scientific knowledge to resolve problems encountered with assistance from other team members.
- Use statistical methods and analytical data to design and analyse experiments. Make the appropriate scientific conclusions and define next steps required.
- Be a technical referent and contribute to innovation within own technical field, by highlighting new areas of research based on scientific / technical knowledge.
- Present clear and concise written and oral communications to colleagues and senior management and provide recommendations based on technical results
- Liaise with external contractors, suppliers, and consultants where necessary.
We are looking for a highly self-motivated individual with exceptional attention to detail skills who is happy to be hands on in the lab, along with the following experience:
- Professionally qualified with a PhD in a chemical science or a MSc/BSc in chemistry with significant experience either in academic research or industry.
- Plan and execute reactions independently and with high levels of productivity.
- Experience in using organic synthesis to build specific monomers and molecules of interest or to functionalise polymers.
- Skills in problem solving and innovation.
- Demonstrated ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams.
- A flexible approach to your work and able to turn your hands to many activities in the lab with a commitment to quality and scientific excellence.
At LumiraDx, diversity and inclusion are part of who we are. LumiraDx is committed to inclusion across race, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation or identity. We celebrate uniqueness and believe diversity drives innovation. LumiraDx seeks to deliver high quality, affordable medical diagnostics and healthcare services accessible to everyone around the world, and we wish to reflect a global multi-cultural approach across our business
Please note, if you wish to submit an application for this role, please consider the following information
This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates. If you are an internal candidate, please notify your line manager before you submit your application. If you’re successful, you may be subject to all or some of the LumiraDx standard pre-employment checks.
Criminal records data is processed as part of our recruitment and selection processes and, where necessary, in the course of employment, we verify that candidates are suitable for employment or continued employment to comply with legal and regulatory obligations to which the company is subject.
LumiraDx place a high level of importance on its responsibilities for information security and privacy and have put in place an information security management system to ensure that the company and its staff maintain the highest standards with respect to data protection and information security. All staff are responsible for information security and therefore must understand and comply with the Company information security policies, procedures and guidance.
For further information and to apply for this role, please click APPLY