Mechanical Design Engineer
Manor Loan, Stirling
LumiraDx is a medical technology company developing, manufacturing and marketing smart connected diagnostics and diagnostic-led care solutions. Founded in 2014 by entrepreneurs with a successful track record in building and scaling medical diagnostics and health IT businesses, the company has major operations in the UK and the USA, and is supported by a global sales network, LumiraDx currently has over 700 employees worldwide. We have recently launched the innovative LumiraDx Platform, and are looking for proactive, experienced, focused and enthusiastic individuals who can make a significant contribution to the continued growth and success of our dynamic and forward-looking company.
Role & Responsibilities
- Concept generation of complex mechanical subsystems including microfluidics control, magnetic and electromagnetic field generation and control, and temperature control systems
- Implementing in CAD (Solidworks) embodiments of such concepts
- Utilising modelling and simulation tools to verify critical to quality parameters associated with generated concepts including magnetic field modelling, thermal modelling, stress modelling and material behaviour modelling.
- Integrating mechanical subs systems with associated electronic and system aspects of the design such as PCB’s, cables and connectors, displays into a complete design while maintaining control of critical to quality system behaviour and performance.
- Build of prototypes and design of associated experiments to demonstrate, characterise and verify the performance of mechanical systems.
- Creation of detailed design specifications based on simulation, prototype testing, characterisation and product requirements
- Analysis of experimental data of new and existing designs, and the creation of associated design study reports.
- Work across instrument development and assay development teams to resolve system performance anomalies.
- Liaising with instrument manufacture partner and partner design agencies to communicate new ideas for incorporation into final instrument design
- Supervise the development of tooling for the manufacture of prototype and production instruments.
- Use of risk analysis-based methods (e.g. FMEA, System Risk Analysis) and implementation of associated outcomes into the system design
- Managing outsourced development.
- You’ll be an experienced, innovative and motivated Mechanical Design Engineer. To carry out this role effectively you will need the following experience:
- Experience of using Solidworks CAD Package including Finite Element Analysis simulation tools
- Experience of using one of the following modelling packages or an equivalent alternative: COMSOL Multiphysics, Ansys Engineering Simulation, EMWorks
- Experience in Point of Care and/or home Medical Device Design
- Experience of working to ISO 13485 or FDA 21CFR, part 820 (or similar)
- Experience in use and maintenance of 3D Printing prototype fabrication systems
- Practical experience of the product verification and validation cycle for a medical device
For further information and to apply for this role, please click APPLY